Spreadsheet Design Concepts Series
Software Development Lifecycle
- (these don't all flow neatly like a waterfall, but are the main elements of the process of delivering working, fit for purpose software)
- Requirements - understanding what the system should do, this will change as the project progresses - be ready for that
- Analysis - sorting through the requirements, understanding the implications, dealing with conflicts
- Logical Design - a theoretical design, perhaps on paper of the sort of things the system will need to satisfy the requirements. This element drives the next one
- Technology Choice - based on the logical design, what is the most appropriate technology to implement the system? This step is so often missed.
- Physical Design - converting the logical design into the actual technology - eg if the system needs a relational database or an OLAP database, this stage defines the table structure.
- Construction - actually building the system - involves going back through all the stuff as new requirements are identified etc.
- Test - each component should be tested (unit testing) as soon as possible and throughout development, then they should be tested together (integration testing). System testing aims to ensure the model does what the developers think it should. User Acceptance testing aims to check it does what the users need, (at this stage that should be clear and well known to the developers).
- Release - making the system available, live to the users, may include deploying the system to servers and/or desktops.
- Maintain - keep the system working, adapt to changes in requirements
- In some shape or form.
- Understanding the requirements is critical and difficult
- Some sort of structured approach is useful
- Build a library of useful code and references
Spreadsheet Development Lifecycle
- Oh! I need a model" - clickety-click, reasonableness check, release, (Test & Maintain in live environment).
25 January 2012 - UK Excel Developer Conference - London
Products for sale:
New information about the missing FileSearch feature in Office 2007 and details of our pragmatic solution (Current price GBP 30.00)
Instant Excel worksheet protection remover and password recovery (Current price GBP 15.00)
Classic Ribbon Tab
Add Excel 97/2000/2002/2003 compatible menu structure to Excel 2007
(Current Price GBP 10.00)
Products coming soon:
(Find and control external links in Excel Workbooks)
Due by Q1 2111.
(Excel VBA based spreadsheet auditing tool)
Due before the end of 2111.